BUNIA, Congo (AP) â The World Health Organization said on Wednesday the risk of spread of the Ebola virus in Congo and Uganda is high at national and regional levels, but low at the global level.
The risk assessment came as the leader of the WHO team in Congo said the outbreak, which has led to over 130 suspected deaths, could last at least another two months as aid efforts intensified to stem the spread.
WHO has declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, requiring a coordinated response. On Tuesday, it expressed concern over the âscale and speedâ of the outbreak.
Worried residents in eastern Congo have reported rising prices for face masks and disinfectants following the outbreak of the rare type of Ebola, known as the Bundibugyo virus. It spread undetected for weeks following the first known death, while authorities tested for another, more common Ebola virus, which came up negative, health experts and aid workers said. There are no approved medicines or vaccines for the Bundibugyo virus.
So far, 51 cases have been confirmed in Congoâs northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, as well as two in Uganda, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday. Beyond that, there are 139 suspected deaths and almost 600 suspected cases, he said.
âWe know that the scale of the epidemic is much larger,â he said. âWe expect those numbers to keep increasing.â
âComprehensive examinationâ
Congo was expecting shipments from the United States and Britain of an experimental vaccine for different types of Ebola, developed by researchers at Oxford, Jean-Jacques Muyembe, a virus expert at the National Institute of Biomedical Research, told reporters on Tuesday.
âWe will administer the vaccine and see who develops the disease,â he said.
A U.S. national who tested positive for the virus in Congo arrived in Berlin on Wednesday for treatment in a special isolation ward at the Charité hospital.
A âcomprehensive examinationâ was taking place to determine how to proceed with treatment, German Health Ministry spokesperson Martin ElsĂ€sser said. He said he wouldnât comment on the patientâs condition. The German authorities and the U.S. CDC have not identified the patient.
Separately, the Christian aid organization Serge said in a statement that one of its doctors â which it identified as American medical missionary Dr. Peter Stafford â has been evacuated from Congo âand is receiving specialized medical treatmentâ after he developed Ebola symptoms.
Eastern Congoâs lack of resources
In Bunia, the site of the first known death, schools and churches remained open on Wednesday, and some residents were wearing masks in the street. Residents said that masks have become harder to find and that some disinfectants previously sold for 2,500 Congolese francs (about $1) now cost up to 10,000 francs ($4.4).
âItâs truly sad and painful because weâve already been through a security crisis, and now Ebola is here too,â said Justin Ndasi, a resident of Bunia. âWe have to protect ourselves to avoid this epidemic.â
Trish Newport, emergency program manager at aid group Doctors Without Borders, posted on social media that her team in Bunia identified suspected cases over the weekend at the Salama hospital, which has no isolation ward. They unsuccessfully tried to place them at another health facility in Bunia.
âThe team called around to other health facilities to see if they had isolations,â she said. âEvery health facility they called said, âWeâre full of suspect cases. We donât have any space.â This gives you a vision of how crazy it is right now.â
âNo panicâ
In Mongbwalu, the town at the epicenter of the current outbreak, the border with Uganda remains open, and gold mining activities continue, Chérubin Kuku Ndilawa, a local civil society leader, told The Associated Press.
âThereâs no panic. People continue with their normal lives, but theyâre also starting to spread the word,â said Ndilawa, adding that controlling the outbreak has been hindered by a lack of public handwashing stations.
âWe hope for the proper triage and isolation facilities to be installed today, and if that doesnât happen, we will be completely overwhelmed,â Dr. Richard Lokudu, medical director of the Mongbwalu General Hospital, told the AP.
âThe challenge is that the staff are not trained to handle suspected cases. We are also understaffed. The hospital has its current staff, yes, but if the cases are confirmed, the hospital is truly at risk given the large number that could arrive. We have no protection.â
Dr. Didier Pay, a doctor at the Mongbwalu General Hospital, said his clinic was treating around 30 Ebola patients and that a student from the local medical technology institute died on Wednesday morning.
Complicated response to the virus
Health experts said the delayed detection of the virus and large population movements in affected areas, which already suffer a preexisting humanitarian crisis, complicated the response. Parts of eastern Congo are controlled by armed rebels, hampering the delivery of aid.
Congo said the first person died from the virus on April 24 in Bunia, but the confirmation did not come for weeks. The body was repatriated to the Mongbwalu health zone, a mining area with a large population.
âThat caused the Ebola outbreak to escalate,â said Congoâs Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba.
Dr. Anne Ancia, the head of the WHO team in Congo, said authorities still havenât identified âpatient zero.â There was a long road ahead, she said, adding that cuts in funding had âa marked detrimental effect on humanitarian actors.â
U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Tuesday that the Trump administration would âlean intoâ Ebola response efforts with a priority on funding 50 emergency clinics in affected areas. The U.S. has so far contributed $13 million to the effort and Rubio said more would be coming.
___
Associated Press writers Jamey Keaten in Geneva, Wilson McMakin in Dakar, Senegal, and Geir Moulson in Berlin contributed to this report.
___
For more on Africa and development: https://apnews.com/hub/africa-pulse
___
The Associated Press receives financial support for global health and development coverage in Africa from the Gates Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content. Find APâs standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.