ISLAMABAD, Pakistan (AP) â The United States and Iran are closing in on a deal to end the war in the Middle East, a regional official with direct knowledge of the Pakistan-led mediation efforts said Saturday, as the U.S. has weighed a new round of attacks on the Islamic Republic.
The official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss closed-door deliberations, said the parties have made âsignificant progressâ in talks, but cautioned that âlast-minute disputesâ could blow up the efforts.
He said the potential deal would include an official declaration of the warâs end, with two-month negotiations on Iranâs nuclear program. The Strait of Hormuz would be reopened and the U.S. would end its blockade of Iranâs ports. He did not give details.
Earlier, two regional officials and a diplomat expressed hope that a final decision on the Pakistan-prepared draft could come within 48 hours as both sides review it. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Iran, meanwhile, signaled ânarrowing differencesâ in negotiations with the U.S. after Pakistanâs army chief held more talks in Tehran, and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told journalists in India that âthereâs been some progress madeâ and âthere may be news later today.â
The White House did not respond to requests for comment on the negotiations. U.S. President Donald Trump spent Saturday at the White House, out of sight and largely silent on social media.
Trump has been hearing a range of opinions on what a person familiar with the latest White House and Middle East alliesâ deliberations called the proposed 60-day ceasefire extension. Regional players are divided on whether the extension is a good idea, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe the deliberations.
Still, both Iran and the U.S. emphasized their key positions and have warned of the risks of resuming attacks and disrupting their ceasefire. Rubio repeated the U.S. stance that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon and must turn over its highly enriched uranium, and the Strait of Hormuz must be open.
Iran describes it as a âframework agreementâ for more talks
Iran state TV quoted Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei as describing the draft as a âframework agreementâ and adding: âWe want this to include the main issues required for ending the imposed war and other issues of essential importance to us. Then, over a reasonable time span, between 30 to 60 days, details are discussed and ultimately a final agreement is reached.â
He said the Strait of Hormuz is among the topics discussed.
Positions have moved closer in recent days, Iranâs official IRNA news agency quoted Baghaei as saying.
âOver the past week, the trend has been toward narrowing differences,â he said. âWe will have to wait and see what happens over the next three or four days.â
Baghaei said nuclear issues are not part of the current negotiations, as Tehran first seeks to end the war before discussing its nuclear program that has long been at the heart of international tensions.
âOur focus at this stage is on ending the war on all fronts, including Lebanon,â Baghaei said, adding that lifting sanctions on Tehran âhas explicitly been included in the text and remains our fixed position.â
The Iranian-backed Hezbollahâs Al-Manar TV reported that the Lebanese militant groupâs leader, Naim Kassim, received a letter from Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi saying Tehran will not abandon its allies. There is a fragile, U.S.-brokered ceasefire in the Israel-Hezbollah war in Lebanon, a conflict that began two days after the Iran war started.
Iranâs parliament speaker, Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, the lead negotiator in historic face-to-face talks with the U.S. last month, said Iran has rebuilt its military assets and if Trump resumes attacks, the result would be âmore crushing and more bitterâ than at the start of the war.
State TV said he spoke after meeting with Pakistanâs army chief Asim Munir, who also met with Araghchi, President Masoud Pezeshkian and other senior officials. Qatar sent a senior official to Tehran to support Pakistanâs efforts.
Trump had said âserious negotiationsâ were underway
Trump earlier said he was holding off on a military strike against Iran because âserious negotiationsâ were underway, and at the request of allies in the Middle East. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off.
The U.S. and Israel sparked the war with attacks on Feb. 28, cutting short nuclear talks with Iran. Tehran retaliated by effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz, a key waterway for the regionâs oil, natural gas and fertilizer, causing global economic pain.
The U.S. then blockaded Iranian ports. The U.S. Central Command on Saturday said U.S. forces had turned away more than 100 commercial vessels and disabled four since the blockade began April 13.
___
Magdy reported from Cairo and Lee from Washington. Associated Press writers Darlene Superville and Aamer Madhani in Washington and Bassem Mroue in Beirut contributed to this report.
